Operating system is a system software which is used to manage the hardware, software and other resources of the computer system.
- Operating system also acts as an interface between the user and computer hardware.
- It is also known as resource locator because it manages all the resources of the computer system and provides services to computer programs.
- It is a software which is used to manage the hardware.
- It is used to control the execution of all the programs.
The primary goal of the operating system are as follows:
- To provide user-friendly environment.
- To make resources available to use in an effective and efficient manner.
Following are some important functions of an operating system.
- File management
- Process management
- Memory management
- Device management
- Command interpretation
- Error detecting aids.