What is C++?
- C++ is an object-oriented programming language and also an extension of C language.
- It was developed by Bjarne Stroustrup at AT & T Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, New Jersey, USA. in 1979.
- C++ is said to be a middle-level language as well as a superset of C language.
Evolution of C++
- Bjarne Stroustrup, a master of SIMULA 67, ALGOL 68, and C language wanted to combine the features of these languages and wanted to develop a powerful programming language that supports object-oriented properties along with features of C.
- Earlier C++ was known as ” C with classes ” where various features were derived from SIMULA 67 and ALGOL 68 programming language.
- In 1983, ” C with classes “ was coined to ” C++”.
- The term “C++” came into existence with the idea from the C increment operator ++.
- The term “C++” was coined originally coined by Rick Mascitti in 1983.
Traditional programming languages such as COBOL, FORTRAN, C, etc. were commonly known as procedural programming language. Programs written in these programming languages consists of a sequence of instructions that were responsible to perform specific task by the compiler or interpreter. The following are some of the reasons which leads to the origin of C++.
- There was no concept of data hiding in C programming language. Once any data made globally in C was accessed from function to function.
- As C is a procedural programming language it creates too many functions, that’s why it is very difficult to handle large applications because of too many function calls.
- The main focus in C language is on procedure not on real data which reduces the importance of security.
- Object oriented programming pays more importance to data rather than functions.
- To overcome the problems faced in traditional programming such as: correctness, maintainability, re-usability, portability, integrity, fast development, security, etc. we moved towards object oriented concept (C++).
- To overcome the problems of software crises where overrun of the cost of the software development in terms of both cost and time we moved towards a new programming paradigms that was object oriented.
Applications of C++
- GUI based applications
- Embedded system
- Operating System
- Distributed system
- Cloud system
- Database software